Monday, March 5, 2012

Music Therapy: "Orchestrating Your Life" (Don Campbell)

"People understand and approach healing in many ways.  For me healing is the art of balancing the mind and body, the feelings and the spirit.  It is best achieved with an everyday routine that keeps all sides of oneself properly nourished and in harmony.  But not everyone has the same needs, and yours may be vastly different from mine.

For me to have a Healthy Day, I have to be stimulated intellectually. . . I listen to music lying down and exercise in my mind.  I do need to play the piano, the organ, or to conduct for half an hour a day, as well as romp with my dog Chauncey. . . I enjoy artistic stimulation, so I listen to music or go to a film or the theater for a few hours.  I release energy through vocal activity--toning, chanting, teaching, or simply talking on the phone.  And every day I spend a few quiet moments in a small meditation room in my house.   All these activities charge my brain and are a part of my daily healing ritual.

Most days, of course, hold unforeseen challenges . . .although I may not like these nuisances and interruptions, they keep me alert and teach me the art of living.  By keeping my balance in a world of constant change, I have learned to be the real conductor of my life, not a fated player."

(The Mozart Effect, Don Campbell, p 61-62)

My whole heart echoes the above counsel.  Prayer, gospel study, medications my body needs, exercise  service to others, love, and music are definitely daily essentials for me  if I want to keep in balance.  If the orchestra of my life is out of tune, or out of practice, I know I just need to find the missing component and make sure I am diligent in some form of daily practice in each of those necessities in my life.

Be Inspired

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I will post it as long as I feel it is appropriate for my audience. Thanks!