Saturday, May 12, 2012

Paper Plate Primary

The privilege of going to two different training sessions with Sharla Dance (see link to her website on the top tabs on my home page)are highlights and epiphanies in my music education. One of the wonderful ideas I got from training with her is to use paper plates as wonderful movement and focusing tools so that as Sharla says (and also the Kodaly method of teaching teaches this same principle) "the words to the song just go in the back door while the children are playing the game."

  • My favorite way is to allow the children to "skate" by putting one paper plate under each foot and gliding around the room in time with the song we are learning.   Always set ground rules first about how the children should behave and remind them that we can only do "crazy" things like this if the very second the music stops the children go quietly to put the plates away under their seats and sit down.  Otherwise, we can't do a game like this next time.
  • Sharla also features a video on her website showing ways you can use the plates as movement and rhythm instruments while the children stay right in place in their seats.
Be Musically Inspired,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I will post it as long as I feel it is appropriate for my audience. Thanks!