Monday, January 30, 2012

Teaching Music: 1, "Your Own Teacher Packet"

I use many different mediums to teach music.  I have used movement and voice, piano, violin, rhythms on a "drum" or table, a xylophone . . . whatever that particular student is interested in learning. So I believe these tips can apply to teaching any musical instrument or to a general music appreciation class and especially in your own family.

I like to start out a new student by presenting them with their own "Teacher's Packet", Explaining that as they work hard to practice and learn, they will then have skills to become a music teacher for others.  As they fill in their practice charts and learn new concepts, new teacher supplies will be added to their packets.

How I assemble my Teacher Packet:

  • A nice plastic 3 prong pocket folder with flash card pocket
  • Durable (nice quality)  sheet protectors
  • Card stock  and small stickers for practice chart
  • several sheets of lined paper 
I keep mine simple, using a favorite color of the student for the folder with their name on the front in marker or on a label sticker.  At first, the inside simply has several empty sheet protectors and one that is filled with the piece of card stock and the stickers.  The lined paper is for me, the teacher to list the things they have accomplished at the lesson and what they should practice to prepare for the next lesson.

At this first lesson, I explain the packet and the practice chart.  The way I have them complete the practice chart is simply to write their name on the top, and each time they practice the list ( which I write for them each lesson) they can put a sticker on the chart. 

There is no certain amount of time to practice and no limit to the number of practice sessions they can count on their chart.  That way they can learn to be self-motivating by choosing their own practice times and frequency.  I explain that a little practice each day is more influential than a large practice session a couple of times a week. 

The reward will be presented at the next lesson.  If they can remember the concepts learned last lesson, then they will be presented with a flash card or definition card etc, about that concept they have learned so they can review it and teach it to others.  If there are no practice stickers on the chart, they will need to wait for the next lesson to receive their new teacher supplies.

I like to assess the interest and experience with music which the student has previously had.
If time allows, I have a few simple concepts prepared to teach,   Such as Beat and Rhythm. Of course I base those concepts of that first lesson on the level the student is beginning with.

I hope these ideas inspire you in your teaching!

Be inspired,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I will post it as long as I feel it is appropriate for my audience. Thanks!