Sunday, February 12, 2012

Primary Singing Time: Teach Beat and Rhythm

I believe it is really important to take the time to teach elements of music along with the songs in primary.  Then we have more music leaders and musicians for the future.

Focused song: Review "As A Child of God"  all three verses (Primary 2012 Outline) and the hymn 236  "Choose the Right" first verse
Concepts taught this weekConducting,  Beat and Rhythm
Musical connection thought: The music we listen to actually affects the way our heart beats inside our bodies.  We need to be sure the beat is one that keeps our heart healthy.  We also must make sure  the words of the song are uplifting and inspirational to keep our minds and spirits pure.
Supplies:  Rhythm Instruments (or use clapping or tapping thighs), Rhythm cards for"As a Child of God"

Junior Primary Singing Time:
Conducting was taught by inviting the children to follow me as I led the music.( I used "Choose the Right as the opening song)  I used both hands in Kodaly fashion so that children don't have to think through the transition of left and right hand leading.  I also exaggerated the movements and led more "stiffly" so I was easier to follow.

I used only the simple rhythm:  TA  TA  TA   (three quarter notes, or three simple lines in Kodaly method).  Clap this rhythm with me.  We clapped it several times on different parts of our bodies:  head shoulders, knees . . .)  Then I handed out rhythm instruments starting with the smallest Sunbeam class (3-4 year old children) and let them use those to repeat the simple rhythm.  We then shared by having each child with an instrument pass them to a child without an instrument.  Those without instruments continue to follow with their hands.  I pointed out that the beginning of the song uses this rythm pattern. (I came to . . .)

Then we switched to beat and everyone sang through the complete song, sharing instruments after each verse.

Senior Primary Sharing Time:
I did much the same as Jr. only I placed all five different rhythms used in the measures of the song "As a Child of God"  onto the board with magnets.  Then I proceeded to clap out each one having children guess which rhythm  I used.  We found the different places in the song where each rythm is.  Then I passed out instruments to one side of the room.  That side kept the beat and the other side followed me in clapping out the rythm of the entire verse 1 and chorus.  Then we switched sides allowing the other children to use the instruments and keep the beat. (I used an older child to lead the children keeping the beat so my hands were free to lead the rhythm section).

The time flew and the children all seemed excited to participate.  Yes even the 10-11 yr old boys!

Be Inspired,


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I will post it as long as I feel it is appropriate for my audience. Thanks!