Monday, March 26, 2012

My Own Music Therapy: Rock and Sing

I heard the call of the messy music room I was trying to organize today  and was  highly tempted to rush through getting my little one down for a nap . . .

 . . .I also felt the whisper of an inspired idea: "quiet yourself and sing the lullaby's on the bedtime CD this time.  Hold her close and cuddle her in the rocking chair . . ."

. . . As the minutes passed I continued to be pulled in both directions as I sang one song and then thought, "OK now back to work--no look at the smile on her face;" sang another song and then thought "OK now I can go back to work--no, feel the peace of the music just a little longer"--another song, then "OK, now I can go back to work-- no,  release my tension through my voice . . ."

. . .The teeter-totter in my brain continued almost as quickly as my chair rocked back and forth, but miraculously my mouth kept moving and singing the well-known songs despite this exhausting mental exchange.  I sang through all the songs and when I noticed the time had come for the tunes to begin repeating themselves, I asked gently if my little one was ready for bed and at her nod I slowly and gently tucked her, along with a stuffed monkey, down for a nap.  There was no cry of protest--just a happy smile .  Then I hurried out to record this tender experience . . .

 . . . How did the mental battle within me end?  I am not sure it has ended, I still feel the call of that messy, only half organized, music room; and yet I feel peaceful, invigorated, joyful, and very thankful for the cuddle time and the journaling time. 

That meets my own definition of a personal music therapy session!  Now I think it is OK to get back to work, but I'll make sure to have some music playing in the background.  :-)

Be Inspired,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I will post it as long as I feel it is appropriate for my audience. Thanks!